I could speak every language of how you are great
Say all the things, my heart only knows
But there are not enough words in this world
To say how I feel.
As I wait for your whisper.
I could paint you a picture of how you are lovely
Use every color, seen through my eyes
But the rainbow is lacking the hues I would need
To show how I feel
As I hang to your smile
I could scour the lands for another of you
Climb every mountain, swim every sea
But you are the one- the star in the sky
The one I find first,
In my teary, blurred eyes.
It’s my birthday. My twenty-fifth. I’m a quarter of the way to one hundred. So as my gift to myself, I’ve written a list of all the things I’ve done and learned. Specific to this year, but relevant for all my years:
1. I’ve learned I can start a new life, far away from everything I know, in a completely unfamiliar place, and be okay.
2. If I was an elements, I’d be water.
3. Although I haven’t even began to scratch the surface of all the things I want to do with my life, I’ve done a lot with the quarter of a century I’ve been given. And I’m happy with the start I’ve made.
4. I’ve made mistakes, lots, but I wouldn’t change them for the world. They are mistakes, not regrets.
5. Impossible is nothing. (Although I’m still terrified of what spiders can do)
6. Minnesota has my heart. Forever. The wold has my soul
7. History is still, without a doubt, my thing and academic are my direction
8. I am a city girl. But I need nature, mountains, lakes, and rivers to breathe
9. As of August 20, I’ve become debt free. (At least for the time). Although I’m broke to the bone, I have no more student loans and I support myself.
10. Also as of August, I have successfully applied to graduate school: the Univetsity of Liverpool and Swansea University.
11. I have been accepted to both. Grad school is back on the horizon!
**on November 22, I was accorded to Liverpool and that’s where I’ll be come fall of 2014
12. I’ve created my first museum exhibit from scratch. It’s nothin to write home about, but I still did it completely
13. I love my family more than anything (not a recent discovery, but more than mentionable). Especially my brother, who provably doesn’t know, or wouldn’t believe, how much
14. I’ve leaved how to write in calligraphy!
15. I’ve cooked my first turkey. On my own! (Although I also started a grease fire)
16. I bought my first harmonica. Attempting to master it.
17. I saw an fell in love with the Hawaiian Islands. Maybe I’m an island girl at heart.
18. Meanwhile, I saw and swam in the Pacific Ocean for the first time ever. I swam in the southern most point of the US, saw one of the two green sand beaches in the world, body surfed, climbed an (extinct) volcano, stood on ab active volcano, and I snorkeled for the first time ever too.
19. I hiked a 13er
20. I karaoked. With an audience. I’m sure I’ll be getting a record deal any day now.
21. I upholstered a chair. How domestic.
22. I was left homeless for a month because of the Colorado 500-year flood. It made me appreciate life, Colorado, and my own decisions more than ever.
23. I picked up hitchhikers on a mountain and drove them to the top.
24. Maybe you can call it running away again, but on November 30, I moved back to Minnesota to regroup before I go away again.
25. I’ve been on a plane 5 times this last year and I’ve seen 10 states- 5 new ones (CO WY SD MN MA CT UT HI WA HI).
And I don’t plan on slowing down.